Hatherwood Battery

Hatherwood Battery is a battery located to the east of Alum Bay on the Isle of Wight. It is one of the many Palmerston Forts built on the island to protect it in response to a perceived French invasion. Construction of the battery began in 1865 and was complete by 1869. Today not much is left of the battery as it has been left to decay, with some parts falling off the cliff due to erosion.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply