Abbeyhill Railway Station (Edinburgh)

Abbeyhill railway station was a railway station located in the Abbeyhill area of Edinburgh. It was served by trains on several Edinburgh local rail services. The station was on the line that branched off the East Coast Main Line at Abbeyhill Junction.Opened by the North British Railway in 1859, it became part of the London and North Eastern Railway during the Grouping of 1923. The line then passed on to the Scottish Region of British Railways on nationalisation in 1948. The station was closed by the British Railways Board in 1964 along with Piershill, Portobello, Joppa and Musselburgh stations when the Musselburgh branch service was withdrawn. The station platform still exists but is covered by overgrown weeds and shrubs.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply