Abbeydore Railway Station

Abbeydore railway station was a station in the English county of Herefordshire. It was located on the Great Western Railway branch line linking Pontrilas and Hay-on-Wye. The area is known as the Golden Valley.

Opened by the Golden Valley Railway in 1881, the station closed and re-opened three times in the next twenty years. Becoming part of the Great Western Railway during the Grouping of 1923, it closed for the last time in 1941.

Just south before the station, via a level crossing, was the railway access point for the MoD’s Elm Bridge Munitions Depot.

In 1901 traces of the Roman road which passed from Wroxeter to Abergavenny were found at the station.

Be the first to comment

Leave a Reply